Tom McKnight is a commercial litigator who practices principally in the areas of construction, real property, and employment litigation. He has served as a lead counsel in jury trials in each of these areas. In addition, Tom often represents public officials in various civil litigation matters and has served as a Deputy Attorney General on behalf of the State of Alabama in this capacity. Tom’s practice also involves agricultural and food litigation matters, such as those arising under the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act (“PACA”).
Tom is admitted to practice in Alabama and Mississippi, the United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Alabama, and the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi. He is a member of the Alabama and Mississippi State Bar Associations and the Birmingham Bar Association.
In 1999, Tom graduated from the University of Virginia with a Bachelor of Arts degree in both English and Religious Studies. He then attended the University of Mississippi School of Law, where he was a member of the Mississippi Law Journal and Phi Delta Phi. He was also honored with the W. Kerby Bowling, Sr. Memorial Labor Law Award and the W. N. Ethridge Memorial Scholarship. He received his J.D. degree in 2002.
After graduation from law school, Tom practiced in the labor and employment group of Johnston, Barton, Proctor & Powell. He then joined the litigation group of Wallace, Jordan, Ratliff & Brandt in 2004.
Tom enjoys hunting, reading, coaching youth lacrosse, and spending time with his wife and children. He attends Covenant Presbyterian Church where he is an Elder. He is also on the board of Donna Greene’s Community Ministry for Girls and is an advisory member of the Alabama Joint RUF Committee.
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 2002
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 2002
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 2002
- Alabama, 2002
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Mississippi, 2005
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Mississippi, 2005
- Mississippi, 2004
- The University of Mississippi School of Law, Oxford, MS, J.D., 2002
Honors: Mississippi Law Journal, Phi Delta Phi, W. Kerby Bowling, Sr. Memorial Labor Law Award,
W. N. Etheridge Memorial Scholarship
- The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, B.A., English & Religious Studies, 1999
- Alabama State Bar, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Mississippi State Bar
- Covenant Presbyterian Church, Elder
- Community Ministry for Girls, Board Member
- Kiwanis Club of Birmingham, Member
- Alabama Joint Reformed University Fellowship (RUF) Committee, Advisory Member
- Johnston, Barton, Proctor & Powell, LLP, Associate