Birch Bowdre practices in the areas of estate planning, estate administration, and business and tax planning with an emphasis on contract work. He is a member of the Alabama State Bar, the State Bar of Georgia, the American Bar Association, and the Birmingham Bar Association. Birch is also a member of the Estate Planning Council of Birmingham and the National Association of Estate Planners.
Born in Macon, Georgia, in 1954, Birch graduated from Furman University in 1976. He attended Cumberland School of Law at Samford University and graduated cum laude in 1979. Birch received his LL.M. in taxation from the University of Alabama in 1985. He practiced with the Birmingham firm of Spain & Gillon for eighteen years prior to joining Wallace, Jordan, Ratliff & Brandt in 1998.
Birch’s honors and awards include Best Lawyers in America, Alabama Super Lawyer (Estate Planning and Probate, Corporate Tax Law) and Birmingham Magazine Top Attorneys (Tax). He has been given Martindale Hubbell’s AV Peer Review Rating.
Birch is a deacon and Sunday school teacher at Dawson Memorial Baptist Church and a volunteer coordinator for Prison Fellowship. He is also on the board of the Boy Scouts of America Greater Alabama Council.
- U.S. Tax Court, 1981
- U.S. Federal Court, 1979
- Alabama, 1979
- Georgia, 1979
- The University of Alabama School of Law, Tuscaloosa, AL, Master of Laws (in Taxation), 1985
Honors: Book Award (Corporate Taxation)
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, AL, J.D., cum laude, 1979, Order of Barristers
- Furman University, Greenville, SC, B.A., Political Science, 1976
- Alabama State Bar
- American Bar Association (Taxation Law, Real Property, and Probate and Trust Sections)
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Birmingham, Inc.
- Georgia State Bar
- National Association of Estate Planning Councils, Accredited Estate Planner
- Peacemaker Ministries, Certified Conciliator (Mediation/Arbitration)
- Boy Scouts of America, Greater Alabama Council Board Member
- Dawson Memorial Baptist Church, Deacon and Sunday School Teacher
- Prison Fellowship, Volunteer Coordinator and Participant
- Spain & Gillon, LLC, Associate/Partner, 1979-1998
- Alabama Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- Who's Who in American Law
- Who's Who of Emerging Leaders in America