CLARK R. HAMMOND practices primarily in the area of bankruptcy, commercial and real estate loan defaults and workouts, construction law, workout of defaulted municipal and commercial bonds, creditor’s and debtor’s rights, securities litigation and general commercial litigation. He also represents clients in regulatory, administrative and litigation involving the Perishable Agricultural Commodity Act (PACA). Prior to 1989, His work has included the representation of corporate debtors in Chapter 11 proceedings and the prosecution of civil actions involving commercial disputes, state and federal securities laws and construction litigation.
He received his B.A. degree from the University of Miami in 1975, and his J.D. degree (cum laude) from Cumberland School of Law in 1984, where he was an Associate Editor of the Cumberland Law Review. Clark is a member of Curia Honoris, which is Cumberland’s highest academic honor society. From 1984-85, he served as law clerk to the Honorable Robert B. Propst, United States District Judge, Northern District of Alabama.
Clark’s honors and awards include Alabama Super Lawyer (Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights), Birmingham Business Journal’s Best of the Bar (Construction Law and Creditors Rights and Bankruptcy), and Best Lawyers in America (Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights/ Insolvency and Reorganization, Construction Law, Litigation – Bankruptcy). Recently, he was the recipient of the 2016 Lawyer of the Year – Construction in the Birmingham market. He has been given the AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale Hubbell.
When Clark is not practicing law, he enjoys spending time with his wife and three children. In addition, he is active in his local church.
Clark is an active official in USA Swimming. He is certified as a National Championship Referee and is also a FINA Referee as a result of being nominated by USA Swimming for that position. He is the former Chair of the National Officials Committee for the officiating of competitive swimming for USA Swimming. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for USA Swimming, Inc.
- Alabama, 1984
- U.S. Bankruptcy Courts, Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Alabama
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, J.D., cum laude, 1984
- The University of Miami, B.A., 1975
- Alabama State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Commercial Law League of America
- Alabama Bankers Association
- Associated Builders & Contractors of Alabama
- Turnaround Management Association
- Johnston Barton Proctor and Rose LLP, 2000 - 2014
- Balch & Bingham LLP, 1989 - 2000
Clark Hammond has served as a seminar instructor for many years and has been the author of Recent Developments in Securities Litigation for the 11th Circuit, which is published annually by the ABA.
- Former President, Construction Section of the Alabama State Bar
- Member, Grievance Committee of the Birmingham Bar Association